[filmscanners] RE: I hardly dare mention Hard Drives

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: I hardly dare mention Hard Drives
  • From: "Nathan S. Harwood" <nharwood@nathanharwood.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:00:19 -0500

This is entirely dependant upon the operating system you are using. If
you are using an early version of Windows 95 you will be limited to
approx 2gb partition sizes. If you're using Win 95 Second Edition or
later (98, 98SE, ME, XP, 2000 etc) you'll be able to get full use of
your drive. The trick will depend on what OS you're using (let us know
for detailed directions) but for the most part, you can boot to dos off
of a floppy disk (Win 98 for example will let you create a dos only boot
disk) with format.com and fdisk.exe on it. Then run fdisk (and say yes
to enable large partitions) then you'll be able to crate the full size
partition. This WILL OBLITERATE all date on that disk, and you have to
be sure not to edit the wrong partition.

There are also retail software utilities out there that can make this a
little less daunting.

Anyway, give us more details on your computer / OS etc.

All that simply said Moreno's single sentence answer. ;)

Nathan