[filmscanners] RE: PMA 2002 - Orlando

Like I said, give us a break.

Norman

-----Original Message-----
From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Arthur Entlich
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 11:18 AM
To: unsworth_norman@aclink.org
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: PMA 2002 - Orlando

Norman Unsworth wrote:

> Give us a break, Art. It's a legitimate beef, newcomer or not, and
> responding to perceived presumptuousness with pomposity isn't helpful.
>
> Now let's please drop it before it becomes another irrelevant OT thread.
>
> Norman

If you really wished to stop this thread, you would/could/should have
commented to me off-list. For that matter, Rodger could have done so to
the people he found so annoying.

I know you have been on this list for some time now, at least half a
year or more.  I signed up in late 1999, and have been a continual
member since.

All lists develop a certain type of "culture" and interactions among
regulars occur which often include a certain amount of off topic
discussion.  It is, in part, what probably keeps people involved.

Certainly off topic comments can become annoying when they get profuse,
and Tony often steps in on those occasions. But a few humorous comments,
even if not everyone gets the humor, shouldn't prove harmful.  It is
pretty easy to skip or delete messages of that nature if they aren't of
interest.

So, I'm not sure it is a "legitimate beef".  Sure it might be in
"violation" of the rules and charter of the list, but even the list
owner violates those same rules.  In part, occasional humorous threads
keeps lists like these sane.  In over two years, I can't count how many
times have I read (and responded) to new people asking the same
questions about scanners?  If someone recently joining comes to such
quick judgment about the value of a poster, then is it not fair to point
out that those same people who he characterizes as contributing "prattle
might be the same people who provide some of the enlightenment he is
seeking?

Yes, he certainly has every right to make comment and even complain, but
then, I think deservingly so, I do as well.

Art