[filmscanners] RE: Blackpoint & noise, was grain

Alessandro wrote:
>if these are different hardware scans (and not different scans - from disk

Yes they are two different scans.

>..the fact that the "noise" has exactly the same
>pattern in both pictures indicates that it is *not* noise (which is random)

I don't think we are referring to the same thing.  There is no real noise in
the left scan, it's just shadow detail..

The noise I mean is *very* fine, scattered dark specks, mostly of about 2-4
pixels in size, that *only* appears in the right hand image.  Try winding your
monitors brightness or gamma way up, and then looking very closely at the
swan's back.  Eg, 6" from your monitor.

>and it is more visible in the picture with bp=1% simply because that picture
>is a bit brighter (or, at least, it appears brighter on my monitor).

Yes, I did wind the right hand one up a little bit too far, but that was to
help show up these specks.  If your monitor is not adjusted quite brightly,
they may not be visible at all.  If you save the images, and then wind them
*way* up, I think you will see what I mean.

Sadly I am in the midst of shifting house, and have not yet set up the scanner
so it will be a while before I can do any further tests.

mt