[filmscanners] Re: grain

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:23:19 +0200  Steve Woolfenden (swoolf@global.co.za)
wrote:

> I have a Nikon 4000 scanner and seem to be getting what looks like grain
> from scans of Ilford Delta 100 . This is a fairly fine grained film so
> I'm
> assuming this is something I'm doing wrong with the scanning

Well, it may be, but grain aliasing is still a possibility, specially if
you are using something like Rodinal which gives very sharp grain. Ensure
you don't have any sharpening turned on in the scanner s/w, but otherwise
it is a matter of experimenting more with film, exposure and dev than
anything scanner-side. The undiffuse nature of Nikon's LED lightsource is
always going to be more problematic where grain artifacts are concerned.
Slight deliberate defocussing of the scanner is about all you can do to
deal with a material which is causing problems.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons