[filmscanners] Re: Digital ICE

> Now that is interesting.  I understand the principle, but my experience, is
> that drum scanners actually require more sharpening than high end CCDs...at
> least that's what I've seen in scans I've done on both a Howtek 4500 and a
> Leaf 45.  Though I agree, what you say makes sense theoretically.

Austin,

How did you focus the Howtek when the scans were done?  I have found that
with mine at least, relying on the autofocus will provide mixed results.  I
generally use the autofocus numbers as a baseline and then fine tune
manually from there.  Even when the scan looks 'focused' at the auto
setting, 8 out of 10 times it takes a bit of bracketing to get it dialed in.
Using this process I have found that most scans require very little
sharpening at all.  This is comparing scans I made of the same images using
both my Nikon 8000 and Sprintscan 120.

Lawrence