[filmscanners] RE: Slightly OT: Hard Drive Speed

Steve,

> 5) raid striping is less reliable than a single disk of similar size.

That is a very debatable point (the rest of what you said, sounds fine to
me).  It is a MTTF (Mean Time To Failure...and do not confuse that with
MTBF) issue, and MTTF for current drives is far more than yours or I will
ever use these computers.  Aside from the MTTF issue (which is on the order
of 20 years, not taking into account duty cycle), duty cycle of using two
drives, since they only do half the amount of work for the same file...and
the main MTTF component is the actuator, which is actuated directly
proportional to duty cycle, raises the individual MTTF, and make it quite
near that of a single drive.

> I think  that covers it ... - it's my only words on the subject
> regardless.

And well put words at that!

Thanks,

Austin