[filmscanners] Re: nikon 4000 ED (ICE, Tmax, Kodachrome)

Date sent:              Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:13 +0000 (GMT)
Send reply to:          filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
From:                   TonySleep@halftone.co.uk
To:                     doogle@doogle.com
Subject:                [filmscanners] Re: nikon 4000 ED

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:35:36 -0600   Jack Phipps (JPhipps@asf.com) wrote:
>
> > It is correct that Digital ICE does not work on traditional black and
> > white
> > film such as Tri-X. However, it works quite well on chomogenic black and
> > white film like Tmax.
>
> A small point : 2 TMax emulsions are chromagenic, most are silver image
> films.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Sleep

Hi all, a "VueScan refugee" from UseNet comp.periphs.scanners here :-)

Yes, I noticed this error also. Tmax 100 and 400 (are there others) ARE
silver-based traditional films, like Tri-X, Plus-X, etc. They merely have a
different grain structure "T Grain", as per marketing hype anyway. Certainly
a different look than than Tri-X etc, but silver based nonetheless.

Also, it is my understanding that ICE/FARE has trouble with KodaChrome not
because of anything in the dye layers, but for fact that Kodachrome still
contains a goodly amount of silver in the processed emulsion, unlike E-6 and
C-41 processed films.

Also also, I've had quite acceptable results using LS-2000 and VueScan's IR
Clean function on Kodachrome's, both old emulsions from the 40's and
modern versions.

Mac
           Mac McDougald -- DOOGLE DIGITAL
  500 Prestwick Ridge Way # 39 - Knoxville, TN 37919
 doogle@doogle.com  865-540-1308  http://www.doogle.com