From: "Moreno Polloni" <mp@dccnet.com>
To: <ezio.lucenti1@tin.it>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 10:19 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Slightly OT: Hard Drive Speed

>>SCSI hard disk drives is the answer.
Faster than any IDE , multiple access at the same time and greater number of
units for the same number of controllers.
Price is NOT a problem ... I have already bought 4 x 18.2 IBM 10,000rpm
SCSI-3 for 95$ each (on eBay) <<

Putting eBay aside, if you buy from a legit dealer, you can expect to pay
four to five times as much, per gigabyte of storage, when you choose SCSI
over IDE.

There was a time when SCSI performance was much higher than IDE, but that
gap has narrowed considerably over the last few years. A 100mb Photoshop meg
file takes about 4 seconds to open with a pair of striped IDE drives. A pair
of SCSI drives may do it in 3.5 seconds, but is it worth 4x the cost? Or
would you rather have 4x the storage for the same amount of money?