[filmscanners] Re: Scanning chromogenic

On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 02:34:19 -0800  Arthur Entlich (artistic-1@shaw.ca)
wrote:

> 1) In the case of a film scanner, if one sets the scanner driver to
> black and white film, and it scans in greyscale, is there a standard
> method this is accomplished?

I don't know, but have come across scanner s/w which uses only one channel,
or even gives you a choice of which channel to use. It was messing about
with the latter, on an AVR scanner (now defunct - but was a high end
flatbed c.95) which convinced me that scanning RGB then converting or
dumping the colour info was preferable.

There are umpteen different ways of losing the colour, eg desaturate;
convert to LAB and just use the L channel, or just use one of the RGB
channels (separations) in PS, or ..or..or . I don't think it matters with
greyscale originals, apart from noise issues.

Converting a colour original to greyscale is a whole different ballgame, as
messing with the proportion of R, G or B has the same sort of effect as
coloured filters with monochrome film - eg the red channel looks pseudo-IR,
you can darken skies by reducing the contribution the blue channel makes,
etc.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info