From: "Sassan Hazeghi" <sassan@cup.hp.com>
To: <philip.elkin@virgin.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 1:59 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Scanning B&W negatives with Nikon Coolscan III (LS
30) ?

Does anyone have good experience scanning Tri-X or Tmax-400 with a
Coolscan III ?  I have just started scanning some B&W and all results
have rather poor contrast (and simple auto adjust under Photoshop does
not seem to quite correct for this.)  Is 8 bit of dynamic range
supposed to sufficient to get descent B&W prints on good paper or
would I need to switch to Coolscan IV to see a difference ?

If I switch to C41 B&W negatives would the result be any different
(and would one need a different scanner setting (gray-scale vs color ?)

Thanks,
Sassan.