[filmscanners] Monitor Calibration

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Monitor Calibration
  • From: "" <HMSDOC@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:38:22 EST

I am quite new to the world of scanners, color management etc., but have been
reading and learning with great interest.  In an attempt to get an
appropriately calibrated monitor I recently purchased a Color Vision Spyder and
PhotoCal software.  I believe I now have my monitor properly calibrated, but
had a question or two to make certain.

When I look at my Windows(ME) StartUp folder there are absolutely no files in
it of any sort.  I know that, for example, with Adobe Gamma (which I don't
have), that there are files put in this folder. Is it correct that PhotoCal is
not supposed to put files into the StartUp folder or do I have my calibration
done incorrectly? My video card does support look up tables.

Also, when you adjust the black luminescense with PhotoCal, the contrast is put
up to 100% before the brightness is adjusted to allow the 4 dark boxes to be
just separable from each other.  But then when I adjust the white luminescence
to the appropriate value I need to turn the contrast down to about 79.  Is it
correct that you  do not readjust the black luminescence with the brightness
control once the contrast has been adjusted downwards?

Thanks..hope these are appropriate questions for this list.

Howard
HMSDOC@aol.com