[filmscanners] Piezo Exhibition in Boston

I've mostly lurked here since last fall because I've been pursuing a
sabbatical project in digital printing. I've learned a lot by doing
so, and some of that knowledge has now been put to use. I am truly
indebted to all on the list.

I've just put the finishing touches on an exhibition of 31 Piezo BW
prints now on display through March 1 at the Gallery at Newbury
College in Brookline, near Boston MA, USA.

I work primarily with the natural landscape as raw subject matter,
using 4 x 5 and 5 x 7 formats. I depart from tradition by making two
negatives of each scene, reversing one, aligning the pair and
printing them as a sandwich. The results can be startlingly different
from the original. Imagine Minor White making Rorshach inkblots
(clue: he did:-)  Printing the work conventionally always entailed
complex masking and contrast control. Scanning to Photoshop affords
me much greater control, flexibility, and consistency.

The negatives were scanned on a Scitex Eversmart (5x7s) and a humble
Epson 2450 (less of a step down than one might expect) and printed
with an 1160/CIS Austin Franklin sold me on 13 x 19 Photo Rag. There
are also two 22 x 30 prints made on a 7000 at the Cone workshop.

I have a .pdf of the announcement card, but I'm not sure if I can
post it to the list as an attachment. Email me directly if you would
like a copy, or any other information.