From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
To: <steve@gccl.fsbusiness.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 7:09 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Video card for imaging

Paul,

How nice to see a familiar face here in the filmscanners list.  It's
been awhile for me, but I'm at the wrong end of a rather steep and
ominous learning curve with my brand-spanking new SS 4000 (the slide
holder for which I am now considering storing in a safe-deposit box),
VueScan version ___ [updated hourly, or so it seems--thank you, Ed], and
Photoshop.  Trying to make this trek on an old Dell Inspiron 3500 maxed
out at 256 MB of RAM and using a pretty shabby 15" LCD is hardly
helping.  I need some new hardware, pronto.

I'll check out the Matrox cards, for sure--especially if I build my own
box.  Gateway has a pretty good deal going with its X700, and the new
18.1" flat panel is supposedly quite usable for imaging--but they bundle
it with an ATI card; if there's any interest, you can read some user
comments here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=2034766

Dan