[filmscanners] Re: Film types with VueScan..

Hi, Tim.

>..I can only select 2
>slide vendors - Kodak or Generic - in the 'slide vendor' window

Ed created this option purely to try to correct for the different 'look' of E-
and K-chromes.
Transparencies by their nature shouldn't really require a vendor setting - the
primary reason you have it for negatives is that each vendor/film uses a
different mask color.

He has stated before on this list that the *Image* setting should normally be
used for slides, as the Slide setting may (and does for me) result in clipping.
 I suspect his intention was to provide a 'quick and dirty' color correction to
show the differences in the way these film types capture reality.  For
'serious' scanning (whatever that is), I suggest you use the Image settings,
and do those corrections yourself if you want to change the look of the film.

>although the online manual lists the 'available' profiles for over 200
>tranny types, I can't select any of them.

If you look carefully, you'll see they are all color negatives or b&w, not
transparency..

regards, mark t