[filmscanners] RE: Tips needed on difficult scan

Ken Durling writes ...

> I have a slide that I've been spending hours trying to yield what I
> can see through the loupe on the light table, but it's evading me.
> It's a very high contrast sunset shot taken on Velvia, with one side
> very dark under dense clouds, and the opposite side has brilliant -
> one might say "blown out" - area of sunlight.  Along the bottom of the
> photo is a lot of city detail, ... and I'd like to retrieve it.
>
> My main problem has been trying to bring out all the detail in the
> city - which is in the relatively dark area of the photo.
> Secondarily, the finding a contrast range that doesn't blow out the
> sunlit areas too severely, while not darkeneing the shadows too much.

  This sort of image demands working selectively and with Photoshop's
highbit (16bit) tools.  That is ... scan your image into a low contrast
(full histogram) 16bit TIF ... when opened with PS, create a duplicate and
convert the dup to 8bits.  The 8bit image will allow you to create a variety
of selections (e.g., the city foreground), which cannot be created with the
highbit image, but can be loaded into the highbit image (PS|selection|load).
With these selections loaded, you should be able to create precisely the
preferred contrast and brightness (or gamma) for the regions you are having
difficulty with ('levels' or 'curves').

hth & cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland