[filmscanners] Re: Vuescan clipping

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Vuescan clipping
  • From: "" <Toliwel@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 20:27:05 EST

Thanks for the replies.  From all the suggestions, a number of folks have
noted this problem and suggest that it lies with the use of the media:slide
setting.  If I change it to Image, the clipping decreases and the result is
no clipping.  But I lose the use of the film terms, my main reason for using
vuescan.  It does a great job with my many old Kodachromes.  Using the Color
Balance:White Balance and setting the White point to .001 works well without
clipping also, and allows the use of the film terms, so this is how I will
use it.

I would think the exposure lock adjustment feature could be used to control
the highlights, but, as I posted earlier, it only affects the clipping in one
direction; I can increase the expose to increase clipping, but not decrease
it.  It does not work the same way NS exposure does, and may not be what Ed
intended to have happen.  I think something automatic is compensating the
adjustment.  This may be a bug.  In case Ed isn't following this thread, I
will send a description of this along to him for his list of things to do!
;-)

Tom Wells
toliwel@aol.com
towells@aol.com