[filmscanners] Re: USB Film Scanners for Linux

Matthew,

I've successfully used two Canon film scanners with Linux, but both with
SCSI, so I don't know how useful this information is to you.

The first one was a FS2710, and now I have a FS4000.

Both of them work well with Vuescan under Linux with a SCSI interface.

The FS4000 has also a USB port, but Ed (Hamrick, the author of Vuescan)
once said that it wouldn't work (yet) under Linux in USB mode, because
of problems with the Linux USB drivers and the way the FS4000 uses USB.

I guess one option you'd have if you do want to use one of these
scanners with your laptop under Linux is to buy a PCMCIA SCSI adapter. I
hear that several Adaptec models, for example, work well. I would
actually recommend this option, since you would certainly experience
better performance/speed with a SCSI adapter than with USB.

Finally, if you'll also be doing image manipulation work under Linux,
and if you buy a scanner that exports more than 8 bits per channel, you
might want to check out Picture Window (www.dl-c.com), which fully
supports 48bit manipulation as well as color management: although it is
a Windows program, it works perfectly under Linux too, with Wine.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Luca