[filmscanners] Re: Minolta vs Nikon MF Question

Tom--

I have a Nikon LS4000ED which I believe has technology equivalent to
the 8000.  I've been scanning Kodachromes almost exclusively.  I get
good color by scanning with Nikon color management off, then applying
a custom ICC profile to the scan.  I often find myself using the
individual analog gain controls to adjust the gain on the separate R,
G and B channels to capture the maximum amount of data in each
channel.  These strategies are (hopefully) giving me the best
possible tonal gradation and color rendition.  It's not clear yet how
to maximize shadow detail.  In some experiments multiscanning has
made a noticeable improvement, and in other cases bumping up the
analog gain at the expense of blowing out the highlights seems to
make a difference, but it's not clear yet whether I'm getting more
usable detail or only more shadow noise. I have no experience with
the Minolta for comparison.

--Bill