From: "Mark T." <markthomasz@ozemail.com.au>
To: <mlidaka@ameritech.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 5:01 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Anyone Have Experience WithGrainSurgerySoftware?

FWIW my experiments with the demo of this software left me *very* cold.

It seems quite effective on patterned images (eg flatbed scans from
textured paper).  However, I found it to have little benefit on normal
grain - when it was adjusted up enough to be any 'better' than the usual
grain softening techniques, it introduced strange vertical streaks and
other artefacts.  Plus the effect is inconsistent, giving a very odd look
to the images.  Vuescan's grain removal is far more usable, I think.

Maybe I just didn't get the hang of it?  But I wasn't all that impressed
with their demo images either (is it just me, or does the 'grain' look a
little fake..?), so that must be a bad sign.  Too fussy, perhaps - but at
that price I'd want something a lot better.

mt