[filmscanners] Re: Fwd: Anyone Have Experience WithGrainSurgerySoftware?

On 12/27/01 3:28 PM, "William Todd" <ttodd@cais.com> wrote:

> I've been using Grain Surgery for a couple of months now. There is a
> noticeable and pleasing effect on image quality. I now use it on all images.
>

>> Found this software on the web the other day and gave it a try.
>> Tried the demo version (a plug-in for photoshop) and it seemed to work
>> pretty well, although it was a bit on the slow side.  Is it worth the
>> $159?
>>
>> thanks -
>>
>> --
>> John Hinkey
>> Seattle, Washington
>> hinkey@seanet.com

Hullo!

Yup, it is a tad sllooow... On my antique Mac, I can go for coffee while it
plods along. Thing is, on the ideal file, it makes 35mm ASA 400 negatives
look like bloody 4X5! (I told them so at VI, and I think they now quote me
on their site!) I use it on virtually all of my files now. If you tweak the
settings carefully and (gasp!) read the manual, there see to be few images
it cannot improve in some measure, and it is easy to see in the preview when
your file does not benefit.

Les