Re: filmscanners: SS120 and Kodachrome

Jeff,

>> I have just started scanning some Kodachromes with the SS120, with
>> disastrous results.

I don't like Kodachrome but sometimes we must use what we are given. I spent
a few hours this evening scanning Kodachrome on an SS120 with SilverFast IT8
and found NO problem. My Nikon scanner produces the most awful results
without any encouragement from me.

> With Silverfast, the scans are so far off color-wise that it is
>> virtually impossible to correct, while with Insight, I was able to get
>> reasonably close with PS modifications.

Hmm, if SilverFast colour management is correctly configured you should see
in the preview exactly what you will get in Photoshop. If you are getting
something different you have a problem - most likely a screwed monitor
profile.

Ian Lyons

http://www.computer-darkroom.com

> From: Jeff Spirer <jeff@spirer.com>
> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:02:54 -0800
> To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
> Subject: filmscanners: SS120 and Kodachrome
>
> I have just started scanning some Kodachromes with the SS120, with
> disastrous results.  I had previously scanned them on an Epson 1640 (which
> I was using before the SS120) with default settings and got satisfactory,
> if not extraordinary, scans.  With the SS120, I got horrible scans with
> Silverfast (despite IT-8 calibration) and passable scans with
> Insight.  With Silverfast, the scans are so far off color-wise that it is
> virtually impossible to correct, while with Insight, I was able to get
> reasonably close with PS modifications.  I have not had these types of
> problems with color negatives.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Jeff Spirer
> Photos: http://www.spirer.com