Re: filmscanners: VueScan 7.3.5 Available

comments on 7.3.5

>   * Added separate color spaces for Monitor and Files

- yes, very nice,
 when i get how it works .......
-my custom monitor profiles dont appear in the monitor spaces list, only
official color spaces. Srgb is bad approximation of my monitor. Does the
list list what is in the system32/spool/drivers/color folder? Is there a
problem with displaying all icm profiles?
-What would be the right setting on win 2k: my monitor is calibrated
throughout the system. Shouldnt that be device RGB space= "none"or my cutom
monitor profile  in the monitor dropdown list.
- I dont have the impression that it it is working right now. When i set the
display to sRGB which is nearest to monitor space, and file to AdobeRGB (my
working space in Pshop too) the resulting scan is much darker in pshop than
in vuescan.
-However i do get correct matching between pshop and vuescan when i set both
monitor and file space to adobe RGB. That is nice but i dont think it is
correct. The custom monitor profile should be selected in the display list
which, when the same allover the system, will display all equal.
-Or is your Monitor color space  in reality a monitor translation of working
spaces= working space preview? In order to preview one space and scan to a
different space?

The scheme should be
scanner>scanner icm>vuescan interface> monitor icm > monitor
and vuescan interface> file icm > file
and then file> file icm > pshop interface > monitor icm > monitor

These icm things keeps us confused....................

>   * Keeps histogram visible after preview or scan

i still would prefer the thing in a separate draggable window (in order to
see preview, color tab and result histo in one view). Fixed interface
layouts will please some and others not, whatever layout you choose.
In fact i would separate the preview scan tab too in a draggable window,
making all combinations possible, so with a 2 monitor setup (like a lot of
scanners on this list) you can put histo and settings tabs on one screen and
the preview full size on the other.

>   * Added option for histogram type to Prefs tab

Wow, all tastes of histo granted!!!!!!!!!!

> *The gamma setting disappeared:
WHY? I know that brightness is a multiplier, and the gamma was a replacement
of workspace gamma. Why cant we keep both? I find the gamma setting more
close to something real and recognizable, but that is just a feeling.

best regards

jan albrecht

> I just released VueScan 7.3.5 for Windows, Mac OS 8/9/X
> and Linux.  It can be downloaded from:
>
>   http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html
>
> What's new in version 7.3.5
>
>   * Added separate color spaces for Monitor and Files
>   * Keeps histogram visible after preview or scan
>   * Added option for histogram type to Prefs tab
>   * Fixed problem with long-running operations
>     failing (i.e. auto-focus on SS4000)
>   * Disabled VueScan on PowerPC G5
>
> Regards,
> Ed Hamrick