RE: filmscanners: VueScan Histogram

Adobe RGB has (ironically enough, this is after all a "Mac" company!) a
built-in gamma of 2.2.  Therefore on a Mac operating at gamma 1.8, with an
application (Vuescan?) that isn't performing any translation of the image
from source colour space into monitor colour space, Adobe RGB will look
"wrong".  Not to mention that Adobe RGB also has a larger gamut than
monitors can show.  So, not only does the image look wrong tonally, but
saturation is also incorrect.

Obviously, when an image in Adobe RGB is viewed in a profile-aware
application, such as Photoshop, a translation to the monitor gamut *and*
gamma is performed.  So in these circumstances the image will look "right".
Except there's a chance that some extremely saturated colours (I think
yellows are problematic on monitors) will be noticeably "wrong".   It is
simply because the monitor can't cope.

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.