From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk [mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of RogerMillerPhoto@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 1:50 AM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: OT (a bit) - Software for the colour-challenged

Based on what I've read on this list (now and earlier), I just ordered iCorrect Professional (the CD-ROM version rather than the download version) from Pictographics for a quoted price of $109US plus $7.95 shipping for a total of $116.95.  After that price was quoted, I was somehow diverted to a Digital River web site where they took my credit card number and billed me for an additional $9.95 for "taxes."  I assume that Pictographics must use Digital River to process their orders.  In any event, Digital River charged me more than Pictographics quoted and they did so without notifying me in advance.  The only way I discovered the rip-off was that, when the order was completed, I noticed the "fine print" than said I could print a copy of the invoice.  That's the first chance I had to see that Digital River had increased the price.  I sent an e-mail to both Digital River and Pictographics stating that ! I would pay no more than the quoted price and that they should refund the overcharge (or cancel my order).  I felt that the software for $100 plus shipping might be worth while, but iCorrect Professional is not worth a penny more than that to me.

Another problem you might run across if you buy the download version is that Digital River says they won't send you a second download if you need it unless you pay them an additional fee up front before you even order the software you want.  So, if your download gets corrupted on its way to you via the Internet, you'll have to buy another download all over again for the full price (according to Digital River).  Of course, if you order with a credit card, you don't have to pay for merchandise you don't receive.  But why should you be put through that kind of grief with your credit card company because of the business practices of these jerky companies?  I think they could learn a lesson or too in how to run a successful company from Ed Hamrick.

In a message dated 12/14/2001 5:25:24 PM Pacific Standard Time, paul@chefurka.com writes:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:19:51 +1030, "Mark T." <markthomasz@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>I have been having a quick look at a product mentioned briefly on the list
>before, namely ICorrect (www.picto.com), which basically gives a 'quick and
>dirty' fix by making assumptions about skin-tones, neutral areas, foliage
>and sky.  At first glance, the free demo seems to give a very good starting
>point - much quicker and better than I can do by
>eye-dropping/curve-fiddling.  Some shots I had almost given up on
>(tungsten, no filtration, underexposed - yeuch!) looked as though they
>would be usable after the ICorrect treatment.
>
>I have read positive reviews on the web (inc. from Ian Lyons & Michael
>Reichmann) and I think I'm convinced anyway, but would be very interested
>to hear from any others on the list who are using it, both from a normal or
>colorblind perspective.  My feeling is I probably don't need the features
>of the Pro version, which makes it a *very* cheap (US$40) solution to most
>of my c-b problems.

I use it as part of my standard repertoire.  I find that it works best with
neutrals, second best with skin tones.  I haven't found a way to make
"foliage" work very well yet, and I haven't tried "sky". On pictures with
any neutral tones in them, it can be a three-click miracle.

I use the pro version, mainly for its ability to do corrections on
16-bit/channel images, leaving more of the data intact for other Photoshop
manipulations.

iCorrect is the only plug-in I've ever bought that I thought was worth the
price (and I paid full price!)  I wouldn't leave home without it.

Paul
http://www.chefurka.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.