RE: filmscanners: Sharpening scanned images for printing

Austin writes ...

> > And aren't higher bit level scans sharper than lower bit
> > ones?....
>
> No.  In fact, they would be softer, since there are more
> tonal levels. Sharpness is really nothing but contrast,
> as in difference in tonal values.

  I don't agree!!  What you are implying is ... "because the highbit image
contains more accurate information, it will display less detail", which
doesn't make sense.

  There should be no "apparent" difference in sharpness, highbits vs 8bits.
Your display, as well as your printer will present 8bit info only.  What
highbit information does allow, is for you to make some relatively severe
tonal adjustments without loss of sharpness or detail.

my $0.02 ... shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.