VueScan Improvements Was: Re: filmscanners: Polaroid Insight vs. Silverfast AI vs. Vuescan

After struggling for some time to understand VueScan and get decent
scans from it, I finally get pretty good scans most of the time, though
I'm not sure why. I think the difficulty is in the User instructions and
Help Files. If they were as good as the program, it would be worth $100!

It's probably a lot to expect that a talented software programmer would
also be a terrific technical writer. Further, someone who knows the
program inside out can have difficulty seeing just what a new user needs
to know (and how to explain it).

The Help files contain a lot of information about what a guy *can* do,
but it doesn't give much help as to what he *should* do.

Perhaps it would be helpful for some of you guys who know the program
from a user's standpoint to write some instructions on how you scan,
what settings you use (and why), what works for you and what doesn't.
Knowing what scanner you use and your expectations (low, medium, high)
would be helpful. Us neophytes could study through them and pick up a
lot of knowledge you've dredged from the hard school of experience.

Ed could then concentrate on improving the software.

Preston Earle
PEarle@triad.rr.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.