Re: filmscanners: Nikon Scanners, DOF and focus settings (was: VueScan 7.2.11 Available)

"Ralf Schmode" <rschmode@gmx.net> wrote:
> after so many people stating that *all* Nikon filmscanners allegedly have
> that DOF problem, it is good to read from someone else who in fact *is*
able to
> get edge-to-edge sharp scans out of a Nikon.

Caveat: I suspect others are wanting more out of the scanner than it can
deliver.  It's been said on the list before; you can't expect a scanner that
costs US$500 to provide the same quality as one that costs US$20K, yet it
seems that many people expect as much.  I had quite high expectations of my
scanner, but I've come to learn a lot about its limitations.  If I go about
it the right way, the scans are great for my purposes.  I've had them
published as cover photos for a news-stand magazine, so I'm happy!

> my opinion and go for Minolta's Scan Elite II. My LS-30 has served me
quite
> well for the time I had it, but the hearsay about Nikon's LS-40 and the
> behaviour of their service really doesn't encourage me to go with Nikon
again.

The Minolta for ICE?  As opposed to a Polaroid?  I've heard very little on
the list about Minolta scanners.  I presume it's because there's few in
circulation, but maybe it's because the users are happy with the way they
work?

Rob

PS Now I'm about to go to Japan, and I'm going to miss having the LS30!

PPS Don't get me wrong - I think Nikon are doing themselves a disservice
with the way they are treating their scanner customers.  DOF clearly *is* an
issue, and the problems with Nikonscan can't be helping sales.  But I use
the film strip holder if I have time, and use Vuescan, and I get the results
I need!

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.