Re: filmscanners: Is half interpolation better than none

At 12:55 PM +0000 12/3/01, Steven Chambers wrote:
>I am currently scanning monochrome negatives MF 6x6 using an Epson
>Expression 1680 Pro using Vuescan. ...I have found the 3200dpi scans
>are easier to sharpen (less sensitive to oversharpening - I can use
>a larger radius on USM in PS).
>
>The general advice is to scan at the optical resolution - am I just
>wasting storage space by going for 3200dpi ?

Steve--

I have found that scanning at the higher resolution sometimes, but
not always, improves the scan slightly.  For example I have one test
target that shows clearly better results, but scans of "real"
subjects are in most cases not obviously better.  On the other hand
as you mention I have found these higher-resolution scans easier to
sharpen.  My current thinking is that when I want to eke out every
bit of goodness my scanner can produce I scan at the higher
resolution then use Photoshop and bicubic interpolation to sample
down to the optical resolution of my scanner.  You might try this and
see what you think.

--Bill

--

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill_sub@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com