Re: filmscanners: Replacement of Nikon LS-30: LS-40 or LS-2000 (especially as to clipped negative highlights)?

I can only answer for the LS2000 - to confirm:

a) my perception of the blown highlights and its cure is exactly as you
stated it,

b) even with LS3.1 which I use on my LS2000, the option for lo-contrast
neutral is still there, so I think it would meet your needs.

c) having asked this kind of question before here, several LS40/4000 owners
did say that the lo-contrast neutral option is not there, but equally I
don't think I have heard these people complaining about blown highlights.

I'd imagine that you can now only get 2nd hand LS2000s, which would be
considerably cheaper than a new LS40?

BTW I emailed Nikon in Australia about exactly this question (how does the
LS40/4000 handle the blown highlights problem) and you can guess their
totally useless reply - "what blown highlights?, we have many satisfied
users and no-one has ever complained ... blah blah"

Julian

At 23:04 02/12/01, you wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>sorry for the long-winded subject. My LS-30 has just quit service, very
>likely beyond what I'd consider worth while a repair. I have been
>planning for another unit anyway, so the point is just that I have to
>make up my mind a little earlier than I thought.
>
>The LS-2000 and the LS-40 come into mind as for replacement (I want a
>Nikon again, no debate on that issue please ;-)). I would gladly go for
>the new LS-40 if there wasn't an issue as follows: My LS-30, when
>scanning negatives with Nikon Scan (and no, I don't want a debate on
>using Vuescan either :-)), would inexorably produce blown out highlights
>if the factory settings were used. The only way out was a well hidden
>menu item called "prescan mode" which had to be set to "lo-cont neutral"
>instead of "auto" after which the highlights would be perfect. The
>problem is that this special menu item is said to have gone in Nikon
>Scan 3.x which would be needed for the LS-40, with the problem of blown
>highlights being there with no apparent remedy. Any of the LS-40 users
>here capable of reporting about that issue? The LS-2000, I understand,
>is more expensive, has weaker ICE and less resolution in comparison to
>the LS-40, so the highlight thing would most likely be the only
>obstacle. Any thoughts?
>
>TIA,
>
>have a nice Sunday -
>
>Ralf
>
>--
>My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
>Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers
>(use "TrustCenter" certified keys only)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.