From:   Lloyd O'Daniel [mailto:lodaniel@bham.rr.com]
Sent:   Friday, November 30, 2001 6:36 AM
To:     filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject:        Re: filmscanners: Polaroid SS4000 / 4000+ / 120 ???

I can give you my opinion on part of this comparison. I have a SS4000,
bought 2 years ago at $1425. A friend of mine recently purchased a SS120. I
scanned a couple of 35mm slides on his 120 that I had previously scanned on
my 4000. My 4000 scans look great, but the 120 scans shows significantly
greater detail in highlights and shadows. The dynamic range numbers
published by Polaroid seem to be accurate.

Frankly, I'm a bit miffed at Polaroid for the manner they have handled the
4000/4000+ situation. I am assuming that the 4000+ will have dynamic range
similar to that of the 120. Had Polaroid chosen to market the 4000+
concurrently with the 4000 at a time when one could have obtained a
reasonable resale value on the 4000, I would have upgraded to get the higher
DR. Instead, they have dumped 4000's on the market for $500 net or so for 6
months, making my scanner virtually worthless. There is no way I can spring
$1500 on a plus now. Polaroid loses a sale. They also haven't had a 35mm
scanner they can get $1500 for lately. I would think they need the cash. I
would say that they deserve their current financial situation in this
regard.

In hindsight, I would have been better off to have upgraded to a Nikon
4000ED before the legs were cut off the SS4000. I did think of doing this.
Poor performance ratings of the Nikon 14-bit scanner vis a vis dynamic range
dissuaded me from doing this.

Lloyd