Re: filmscanners: Minolta Multi Pro

In a message dated 11/30/2001 9:20:31 AM EST, albatros.bee@web.de writes:

> could you tell us some of your impressions about the Minolta Multi Pro when
>  testing it for your software - what about overall sharpness, shadow noise
>  etc.  A lot of people out there seem to be interested in getting some well
>  founded impressions of the scanners quality by someone who has seen more
>  than this one machine.

It seemed to produce excellent scans, with very little noise in the
darkest parts of a severely underexposed Kodachrome slide I use
for testing.  The darkest part of a Q60 calibration slide had virtually
no noise as well, even without using single-pass multi-scanning
(which this unit supports).

The SprintScan 120 has similar (possibly slightly better) low-noise
performance in the darkest parts of slides, and both have
excellent color accuracy (the SprintScan 120 has slightly
better color accuracy).

The main things that differentiate them are batch scanning
of uncut Medium Format film (SprintScan 120) and infrared
dust removal (Scan Dual Pro).

The film window in the SprintScan 120 is 17 cm and
you can scan any 8.5 cm piece.  The film window in
the Scan Multi Pro is 8.5 cm.

They're both excellent scanners.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick