filmscanners: Nikon 8000ED nightmares!!!

Well, I've just spent two days trying to figure out how to get my 2 week old
Nikon 8000ED to work properly.  At this point, I'm just about ready to crate
it up, send it back...and go with the Minolta Scan Multi Pro.

First off, it is really slow.  I prefer VueScan, but can only scan in the
very slow "superfine mode" with that program.  That leaves NikonScan 3.1.
The scan times are faster with NikonScan, simply because I have the option
of *not* using the "superfine mode".  (of course, we all know what can
happen if we do that; banding).  Even so, NikonScan seems clunky and
slow...like it needs more memory.

So...I tried to allocate more memory to NikonScan.  There are no
instructions on how to do this.  On the "read me" section of the NikonScan
cd, it mentions that there is info discussing limitations on allocating
memory to NikonScan which can be found inside the scanner box.
Nothing of the sort inside the box...or anywhere else.

When I do actual scans, the image in the NikonScan preview window actually
looks quite good.  However, after the scan is done...the image in Photoshop
looks horrible.  It's WAY oversaturated with WAY too much reds!
(I had a similar problem with VueScan and my other scanner which was solved
by using the Adobe color space for both VueScan and Photoshop.)
Now I'm using the Adobe 1998 color space in NikonScan and Photoshop.  I get
the horrible image described above.

Next step:  call Nikon Tech support.
Wait for a REALLY long time.
Get disconnected.
Call back; wait for another REALLY long time.
Finally get a girl who really seems to be "impersonating" tech support.
(She was very pleasant, but I actually think she's a secretary who happened
to be walking by as their phone was ringing in tech support)   ;-)
I could go on here, but let's just put it this way...she said that turning
off NikonScan CMS (color management) is for when you want to work with black
and white photography!!!

In short...I'm at the end of an electronic culdusac here.

Can anyone out there help me with my memory and color problems?
I have a 400mhz Mac G4 with 1.5 gigs of RAM.

Thanks in advance!

Joyfully,  -david soderman- <><

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.