filmscanners: Re: CanonScan 2710 and Vuescan

At 11:14 AM -0600 11/26/01, dbdors wrote:
>My problem is that I am getting soft scans.  Even at 2710
>resolution, the scans seem to be a little out of focus.  What I am
>doing is scanning and then comparing the scans to the slide on a
>light table.

        I used a Canon FS2710 for a year or so - it is a good
machine. Scans almost always look a bit soft straight out of the
scanner - they need some Unsharp Masking in Photoshop, as I'm sure
Tony Sleep's article said.
        A good way to test the focus/sharpness of a scanner is to
take a blank slide and score a big X on it with a razor blade. The
edge of the cut will be far sharper than any film image. I got this
idea from Tony Sleep, and it works well. I could tell from my scan of
the razor cut that the Canon focus was right on.
        As far as VueScan is concerned, Ed Hamrick recommends using
the Device>Image setting for slides and the default settings under
the Color tab, at least for your first attempts.  If you are finding
that the highlights are overexposed, try lowering the White Point %
to 0.1 or 0.01. White Balance is the setting I usually use for colour
balance, but Auto Levels works well on some slides.
        I have VueScan set to focus on Preview, which seems to work OK.

Regards,
Roger Smith

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.