Re: filmscanners: Pattern with Minolta Scan Multi

--- Arthur Entlich <artistic@ampsc.com> wrote:
> I looked at your sample in Photoshop to try to see it more clearly,
> but
> it is too small to dissect very much.
>
> The defect appears to be Newton Rings, caused when a very smooth
> surface, like glossy film base, contacts another smooth surface, like
> glass.  It is a common problem, and the answers to fixing it include
> creating a larger air space between the surfaces, using special
> anti-newton ring glass, which has small texture etched into it, or
> using
> special powders to allow the film to ride on top of the powder
> grains,
> creating the needed space.

Well, it seems everybody agrees that these are Newton Rings. Also the
rental shop was mentioning that. They told me pretty much the same as
you and Trevor (hey, that is almost my name backwards...). Basicaly,
there has to be some distance between the film and the glass. This is
achieved by using the mask (which also reduces reflection, I think).
Also a moist environment can increase the chances of Newton Rings. So
they suggested to used a dust gun.
Well, I have tried several things like flipping the negative so the
emulsion faces the other glass (assuming that not both glasses are
treated the same..?). I have also tried to put the negative between two
masks so that I get some seperation on both sides. Nothing did really
help. I might try the poweder but I am not sure where to get it.

Robert