Re: filmscanners: Epson Perfection 1650 Photo

In a word, yes.  For one thing, you are scanning at a very low
resolution.  I'd suggest scanning at full optical resolution (1600 dpi)
and then downsampling to your needs.  Usually, this provides a better
result, although not always.

Medium priced flatbeds are not optimized fro transparencies and if you
are scanning 35mm frames, you are lucky to get anything resembling the
image at 300 to 600 dpi.  Lastly, all scanners require unsharp masking
be done to the image to finalize the image.

Art

John Rossi wrote:

 > A short while ago I bought an Epson Perfection 1650 Photo flatbed
 > scanner.  The price was right for a 1600 dpi scanner that also has a
 > light source built into the cover and enables one to scan
 > slides/negatives.  I needed a decent flatbed and also liked the idea of
 > this being an interim step to a film scanner such as the Nikon Coolscan
 > 4000 or the Polaroid SS4000, which will be purchased ?soon?, certainly
 > before he end of December if I choose Polaroid.
 >
 > So here is the question:  When I scan slides that are sharp (8X loupe)
 > the scans are not critically sharp (fuzzy) to some varying degrees.
 >
 > Epson support said  . . . ?turn off the auto thumbnail feature of the
 > TWAIN because sometimes the scanner reads the slide holder and can not
 > get good focus on the slide.  These being done the scans are sharper BUT
 > still nor critically sharp.  If I turn off the TWAIN un-sharp mask they
 > are really fuzzy.  The scans can be sharpened in PS.
 >
 > The entire scan is slightly out of focus and it is consistent.  If I had
 > a warped slide that was partially in focus I would say it is a depth of
 > field problem.  But as the entire area is out of focus I am not quite
 > sure what is causing it?  I am scanning Velvia at between 300 to 600
dpi.

 > Is this what I should expect from this type of scanner?  Thank you  . .
 > . .  John Rossi

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.