Re: filmscanners: Negs vs slides again: was Color Negative Film Poll

I think the brightness range of transparency films has improved a lot over
that.  15 years ago, I ran some zone type tests with transparency
(EXTACHROME should any one care).  Essentially, I metered a evenly lit,
evenly toned surface ( a gray garage door for me back then).  The meter
wants to reproduce this as ZONE 5.  I then did a range of under and
overexposures, in half stop increments.  You want to learn three things:

1) does your meter reproduce this image as 18 % gray (Zone 5).
2) when do things get as white as they can get (film base + fog)
3) when do things get as black as they can get (max D)

What I learned was that I needed to boost film speed by a third of a stop,
and that EXTACHROME had a range of 7 stops.  I was able to use that
information to shoot effectively.

I then stopped shooting for a couple of years as I had small children and
they left little time for creative activities.  I picked up my cameras again
in earnest, 2 years ago.  As film stocks have changed a lot, I repeated the
same tests on both KODAK and FUJI emulsions.  I was surprised to learn that
the film speeds were now more accurate for my camera, and that I was getting
a 10 stop range out of both emulsions.

I have never run these tests on color negative stock, so I can't vouch for
their performance.  I know that I went through a lot of grief trying to come
up with a black and white negative film combination that worked for me to
get a 10 stop range (TRI-X at EI 250 in HC-110 and ELITE paper).  Out of the
box standards for both KODAK and ILFORD gave me film that was underexposed,
and with a 9 stop range.

My point is that you need to test the films that you use to determine what
the reponse curve is for your camera and your color lab.  Once you know
that, you can make great technical images (creative images is another
matter).

I personally, tend to shoot transparency stock.  It make it easier for me to
organize things.  Transparencies are denser than negatives, so I would
expect that to make them grainier, but that has not been proven to me.  Film
is so much faster and finer grained today than 20 years ago.

 I have not reviewed any Zone System books in a long time.  I always had a
hard time with Ansel Adams writing, Minor White was a lot easier to read.
It is not just a technique for working with B&W negative technology
(although that does give  you the most control).  It is applicable to colog
negative, color transparency, B&W transparency, and digital cameras too.