RE: filmscanners: flatbed scanners

see www.virtualtraveler.org/epson2450p2.htm
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Mark T.
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 3:21 AM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: flatbed scanners

Ian wrote:
>I'm running into people who earnestly tell me that the better grade
>flatbeds now do 2400 dpi and are therefore OK for 35mm negs & slides.

Ian, I would be asking these earnest folk - do they actually *use* them for
that purpose, and are they (at least) amateur photographers?  :-)

I would be very leery of specifications and marketing hype.  May I quote
from a currently running ad from Canon, about their D2400UF..a flatbed with
a transparency adapter..

'get virtually DRUM SCANNER QUALITY, for an unbelievable price.'
'professional quality scanning is now within the reach of the small
professional studio'
'six-line hyper CCD also delivers an Optical Density of 3.3, a standard by
which desktop drum scanners are judged'

I've seen reviews and results from the D2400UF, and suffice to say I am not
running out to buy this 'drum-scanner equivalent'...!!!

Maybe I'm just too cynical in my old age.. Sigh. :)

mark t

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---