filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Epson Perfection 1650 Photo

John wrote:
> So here is the question:  When I scan slides that are sharp
> (8X loupe) the scans are not critically sharp (fuzzy) to
> some varying degrees.

FWIW, my first experience with a film scanner was an Epson Filmscan 200.
 This claimed to scan at 2400dpi but actually scanned at 1200 and interpolated.
 Scans from the Epson weren't as sharp as a flatbed scan of a 10x8 Cibachrome
made from the same slide.  I haven't used the 1650, but my experience (and
from what I've read others have experienced the same), Epson scanners tend
to produce soft results.

If you're after "critical sharpness" from 35mm you'll probably have to get
a dedicated film scanner such as a Polaroid SS4000.

Rob

PS The filmscan had a 1200 pixel array and used the stepper to scan in one
direction at 2400dpi, then interpolated the other direction.  The result
of scanning at "2400dpi" wasn't noticeably different from scanning at 1200dpi
and using PSP to resample.

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.