Re: filmscanners: Light Source (Nikon LS40 vs. Minolta Scan Elite II)

Arthur,

as initiator of this thread I want to thank you for your
in-depth information. Although previously almost about to
order the Nikon LS-40, I am now a little uncertain especially
about the reported problems with depth of field. I guess I
will wait until the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II becomes
available in the store and try to get a sample scan of the
two scanners in question.

Thanks to all contributors for their information,
-fritz

> ....  (long and valuable explanation deleted)
>
> The most common complaint about the Nikon scanners (other than buggy
> software) is that the depth of field is limited by the low brightness of
> the LED lighting source.  This might cause even minimally bowed images
> (slides or negs) to become out of focus around the edges.  Some suggest
> that mounting images in glass slide mounts might resolve the problem,
> but that introduces others, like another 4 surfaces to keep clean of
> dirt and scratches, and removing images from their original mounts.
>
> So, the choice is yours.  There are obviously reasons for both systems.
>
> Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.