RE: filmscanners: RAID and scratch

OK!  That is what I originally though I had read but the new statement made
me think that I had confused you with another poster with regards to the
equipment list and set up.

I would make a few changes to what you proposed.  I would keep drive A as
you have it.  I would put both the data and image files and the scratch disk
on drive B (your RAID 0 array), partitioning it 2/3 to 3/4 for data and
images and 1/4 to 1/3 for a scratch disk.  I would use the third disk by
partitioning it into two partitions (one partition of 1GB for your Windows
Swap file and one partition of 59GB for backup.  My reasoning is as follows:
The RAID array's performance will be better than either disk A or B.  Since
you will be making frequent writes and reads from the image and data files
as well as from your Photoshop scratch file, you would want them to be on
your fastest drive arrangement.  Since the drive C is faster than drive A,
you would want to put your Windows Swap file there rather than on your
slowest drive since that swap file is accessed frequently also by both
Photoshop and Windows as well as by your other programs under windows for
virtual memory.  However, in so far as the accessing of the Windows Swap
file is not as intensive as that of the Photoshop scratch file when they are
being used comparatively speaking, I do not think there is a strong
justification for locating it on the RAID array.

Hope that helps in giving you some ideas and suggestions.  I am also
assuming that you will be using drive C to do manual backups of selected
data files and will not attempt to use it to automatically mirror the RAID 0
or to backup all your data on the RAID array. While it may or may not be
possible to use it in a RAID 1 function, I think it would slow down the
whole RAID operation causing you to lose the performance benefits of the
RAID 1 - let alone run out of storage room as your RAID 0 Array begins to
fill up with data.