Re: filmscanners: Kodak Grand Central Diorama (Was: the 10 foot print from 3...

Dave,

Many thanks for the additional insight on the Kodak Coloramas! Among the details I'd forgotten was the real name, even.

All the best,

Frank Peele
Pacific Photographic
Redlands, CA

Original message from David Freedman:

<<I'm a little late to this thread so if this has already been mentioned, my
apologies.  Actually at least one of the Kodak Grand Central Colorama's was
made from a 35mm transparency. Here's a posting from Phil Greenspun's site:

"I would like to remind a very good example of the enlargement from Popular
Photography, September 1978, p.75: "For the first time ever, a 35mm
transparency was used for Kodak's 60-foot long Colorama in New York's Grand
Central Station. All previous Kodak Coloramas (27 years worth) were made
from Large-format negatives. What was truly astonishing was the fact that
the tiny 35mm transparency, though magnified an incredible 516 times,
retained sharpness. A very impressive testimonial to the quality of Leica
lenses and photographer Ernst Haas. The camera: Leicaflex SL with Summicron
50mm lens". Good luck,

-- Victor Randin (www.ved@enran.com.ua), October 19, 2000. "

Dave F.>>

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.