Re: filmscanners: Best solution for HD and images

> > Thus in the case of SCSI where you cannot (by definition) overcome the
> > number of 6 devices x chain/controller,
>
> WHAT SCSI are you talking about?  Try 16. not 6.

How many addresses have you per controller ?
from 0 to 6 = 7 but 1 is the controller itself.
SCSI is not IBM SSA . SCSI = 6 devices x controller/chain ; SSA 16 devices x
controller/loop

> That's not true.  There is no "double write", both the data/parity is
> written at the same time.  Parity can easily be calculated on the fly.

YEP !  and who does write it on the disk in a different area/zone/disk ?

> Run some benchmarks on your system and see for your self.  Also, make sure
> the benchmarks AREN'T running out of disk cache...that hardly tests the
disk
> speed.  You'll be lucky to get even near 80, if even 60.

My data are the output of a benchmark and not the theoretical max speed.
Yes you can add because SCSI can parallelize the requests while IDE cannot.

> The standard PCI bus is 33 MHz (or 66MHz), NOT 133MHz.  Perhaps you mean
> 132M BYTES/sec?  Even at that, you can't get near %80 of that, if you're
> lucky.  132M bytes/sec is the burst rate.  There is substantial overhead
on
> the PCI bus that lowers that substantially.

YEP ! I can achieve the saturation of bus before achieving the saturation of
the controller (Adaptec 29160 is a 64 bit adapter).

Sincerely.

Ezio

www.lucenti.com  e-photography site