Re: filmscanners: Best solution for HD and images

Hi Laurie,

You basically got it right:

Raid 0 or striping is putting two or more harddisks together into one bigger
disk. The Raid controller and software then divides say a 55 MB file in two
or more parts and writes them to the disks simultaneously. This is reversed
for reading files. The pros are great speed. The cons: if one disk goes -
all data on all the disks in the array is lost as well...

Raid 1 or mirroring, as you said, is just an automatic backup of one disk to
another disk... great security, but slow.

When you combine the two you get Raid 0/1 or 10 which is data is written to
several disks simultaneously and backed up automatically on a similar number
of disk. Therefore the smallest number of disks in a Raid 10 is 4; 2 Raid 0
and two Raid 1 combined.

JBOD is just a cluster of disks acting as one big disk - slow to write and
no security.

Raid 5  is like Raid 0. It writes to a number of disks simultaneously - but
somehow it distributes at the same time information on all the disks - that
makes it possible to recreate data should you loose one of the disks. In
that case you insert a fresh harddisk and the data belonging there will be
recreated. This is what I referred to as "payment for Raid 5 data security":
you loose the capacity of the equivalent to one harddisk in an Raid 5 array
of four disks. Ie: instead of say, 400 GB, which you would have available in
a Raid 0 or 200GB in a Raid 1, you get 300GB available in a Raid 5.

Because it needs to write this extra information to the disks, Raid 5 is
slower than Raid 0, but your data is relatively secure. Unless, of course,
you loose two harddisks at the same time from the same array. :-)

The Abit KG7 Raid does not offer you the choice of Raid 5. Only 0,1 or 10
and possibly JBOD - and AFAIK nor does any of the other motherboard built-in
Raid solutions.

There are other and much more complicated, secure AND expensive versions of
Raid. The Adaptec Website gives a very good overview: www.adaptec.com .

greetings     Preben