Re: filmscanners: Best solution for HD and images

Hi Andrea--

First allocate around 300MB to Photoshop and see if this
significantly reduces the amount of disk accesses.  The logic here is
that Photoshop needs working space (for each image you have open?) of
about 3 times the image size, plus it needs space for its code to
run, plus any scanner plug-in will need memory for its working space
too.

I'm not up to date on the relative speeds of disk technologies, so I
can't give you a reliable recommendation, but you might look into
external RAID arrays.  These can be placed in a mode were the data is
split across multiple disk drives such that you read and write to
them in parallel.  This multiplies the transfer rate by roughly the
number of hard disks:  so for example a 4-disk array would give you
roughly 4 times the speed.  I'm under the impression that such RAID
arrays are popular with digital video studios because they transfer
massive amounts of data quickly.

--Bill

--

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill_sub@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com