Re: filmscanners: Pixels per inch vs DPI

Exactly!!  Thanks Art - that's the sort of lateral thinking I like..

now that we're on a roll.. hey, why not microdrive the array, or use a
moving folding mirror system, or.. or...! (I'm kidding, I think - although
I claim credit for thinking of those first..)  I reckon there are many ways
to skin this cat..  It's just a matter of finding *the* one.

I notice now that many data projectors now use tiny mirrors embedded
somehow in the LCD matrix - I would never have dreamt of such a method, and
I don't profess to understand why, but there it is..  Not that it may be in
any way relevant to increasing resolution, but it just goes to show that
those 'engineers' are always coming up with stuff from left-field.. :-)

I think it was Arthur C Clarke who said something like:

'If an eminent scientist says something is possible, he is very likely
right.  If he says it is impossible, he is almost certainly wrong..'

I know there are some areas where the physics can catch up with you, but I
don't think electronic light sensing is anywhere near that yet, unless you
restrain yourself entirely to the way things are done now.

We'll see, I guess..

mt

OK, I'll shut up now. :)

Art wrote:
>As many people probably realize, in a typical rear curtain/focal plane
>film cameras (as most 35mm SLRs are), any shutter speed beyond the
>maximum flash synch shutter speed exposes the film via a moving slit
>opening between the shutter curtains.
>
>If, at some later date, digital sensors can be made to respond and
>sample quickly enough, and the data stream could also be rapid enough,
>then perhaps a moving/sweeping sensor, similar to those used in some
>film scanners could be incorporated into a camera, so rather than having
>to use a sensor "panel" which has to cover the full dimensions of the
>area being captured, a simpler and denser populated tri-color line
>sensor would be adequate, or perhaps several of these sensors could each
>capture one portion of the image and then stitching it together.
>
>Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.