RE: filmscanners: Canon 4000 ppi film scanner

I've thought the same thing myself, but I'm sure I must be missing
something.  I've got one.  Overall, I think I like it <g>, but I have some
problems.

My biggest problem is with its software.  The Canon software driver is
pathetic and Silverfast doesn't support it.  That pretty much leaves me with
Vuescan.  I'm desperately waiting for Ed to come back from vacation to help
me resolve two problems: 1) infrared dust reduction just doesn't seem to
work -- at least compared to the Canon driver which actually does work
pretty well in this instance.  2) The APS film adapter is erratic, to say
the least.  It seems to lose it's index point on the roll.    It's so
erratic, I can't tell if this is a problem with the firmware or Vuescan. I
expect it's probably a little of both.  Any ideas/input/suggestions would be
appreciated.

Mark Van Buskirk
Boulder, CO
markvb@sprintmail.com