RE: filmscanners: Minolta Scan Multi Pro Manual URL

The French "Chasseur d'Images" magazine November issue reviews the Scan
Multi Pro. It gets a pretty good result, and is considered qualitatively
equal to or better than the 8000ED. And the software works. And the film
carriers are way, way better.  They do comment on the speed for full res 6x9
scans, but hey....

If there is any demand, I can post a translation of the salient points.

Really, do we _need_ 4000dpi for MF film ?   And on the other hand, would
you pass up 4800dpi for 35mm.

It is also claimed to scan panoramic 35mm (Xpan) straight from the box,
although the review does not clarify if this is treated as 35mm or MF.  From
the tech specification it seems it should be 35mm.

In the same issue they review the Nikon D1H, and the Nikon Capture 2
software (and the Nikon FM3).   In all these reviews, you get a common theme
of a company losing attention to detail, to quality control, and especially
releasing dreadful software.

The _photography_ magazines seem to be coming down on the side of the
Minolta.  Technicians seem to prefer the Nikon.  Everybody is polite about
the Polaroid, but nobody is really recommending it.

I have to say I _would_ buy the Polaroid if I had a local retailer who could
offer support (I've got to junk my Artixscan 4000 because my nearest
competent Microtek dealer isn't even in the same country).  But since I
haven't, Minolta look like getting my money.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.