filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Preparing to scan old slides

Jack wrote:
>I have several trays of 35mm slides that I want to scan.  Some of these

>slides are still in the carousel where they were placed 25+ years ago.
No
>doubt there is dust.   Any advice on how to minimize the dust?  Use a vacuum
>cleaner? Compressed air?  Thanks in advance.

Gentle use of clean compressed air, or gentle use of an antistatic brush
such as the Staticmaster.  If there's really argumenative grot, you could
try using PEC-12 to clean the film.  What are you scanning with?  Some scanners
have automatic cleaning capability (eg. Nikon film scanners and some others
such as Acer and Minolta) but it's better to start with film that is clean
to begin with.  Mould is worst because it actually eats the emulsion, destroying
the image.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com