Re: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Re: Hello, thanks, and more.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:08:40 -0400, you wrote:

>> I guess I'm missing the point here.  If I were to scan even a 4x6
>> print at 72 dpi, and then want to display it anything larger than
>> 288x432 pixels, wouldn't interpolation be necessary?  Even more with a
>> slide or a negative?
>
>But you wouldn't scan at 72dpi if you wanted larger images (pixel wise that
>is), right?

Right, of course.  I was just responding and sorting out the
relationship to the much touted max screen res of 72 (or 100) dpi.   I
think I used to think that meant higher resolutions offerered no
advantages becuase you couldn't see detail below that level, but now I
see it relates mostly to size.  I'm still not entirely sure why high
res scans look better on a screen only capable of displaying 72dpi.  I
tried a slide at 2720 and then 680 dpi, sized the two scans the same,
and the 2720 looked far better, especially under high zooms.

Ken

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.