RE: filmscanners: Nikon film flatness (was Glass slide mounts)

Bill,

My only conclusion is that something must be up with the 4000 (which I don't
have) compared to the 8000 (which I do).
By rights, the medium format 8000 should by far have the bigger problem with
film flatness, but I can assure you that it's fine - no more nor less than
one would expect.
I use glassless carriers for most work, and glass ones for any dimensionally
challenged (!) film.
But I have nothing like the problems you describe, and no idea why. A
smaller format should be far easier to control than a larger one. so
assuming we have similar expectations, your problems seem greater than mine,
with no logical explanation.
As for glass mounting, I was mainly talking about unmounted strips of film
(easy to put in a glass carrrier) rather than individual slides, so I
appreciate your reluctance.

My only caveat is that there are very well known problems with bowing of
cardboard slide mounts, which you do specifically mention yours being, so...
how much flatness should you expect from an ageing (warping) piece of card
and glue? and how much should you expect a scanner to deal with that issue?
I would ship some of them over to plastic mounts and see what changes that
makes. Of course if your film has been sitting for years in a bowed card
mount, then it would have to be a glass slide to force it back into shape.
Do you find exactly the same problem with plastic mounted kodachromes?

The other thought: all the posts complaining about this issue have been from
4000 owners too. none from 8000 people. hmmm.

hope you find a workable answer to your frustrations,

bests,
paul